PART VI - PRISONER RIGHTS AND PRIVILEGES (suggested time 2 hours)
1. Identify the difference between a right and a privilege.
2. State the general principle regarding prisoner rights.
3. Identify from a list or scenario those items which are “rights” guaranteed by the federal or state constitutions and any limitations on these.
4. State the general principles regarding prisoner privileges.
5. Identify the common privileges which an inmate / prisoner might expect and any limitation on these.
6. Identify the legal distinction between a holdover and a detention facility in terms of the rights and privileges granted the prisoners.
7. Identify four policy procedures which jails or detention facilities should follow to ensure that inmates/detainees understand their rights and privileges.
8. Identify the legal requirement for a inmate/detainee grievance procedure.
9. Identify four common-sense precautions which will help avoid or defend against criminal or civil liability when serving as a jail or detention officer.